State:

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Detection

In the event of a natural gas emergency, call 911 and Summit Utilities at 800-992-7552.

MORE ON SAFETY

Natural Gas Safety

Call Before You Dig

Carbon Monoxide

Customer Owned Piping

Cross Bore Sewer Line

Excess Flow Valves

Right-Of-Way

Public Utility Scams

Gas Meter Safety

Recognizing a Leak

 

 


 

 

Image of Summits Safety Brochure

Summit Utilities is committed to the safety, health and environment of your community.

Learn more about safety with Summit's Safety Brochure.

Download Now

 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and potentially dangerous gas produced when fuel (heating oil, propane, kerosene, charcoal, gasoline, wood or natural gas) is burned without enough air for complete combustion. If inhaled in large quantities for a prolonged time period, carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness, brain damage and even death.

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Headaches Icon

Headaches

Nausea Icon

Nausea

Dizziness icon

Dizziness

breathlessness icon

Breathlessness

collapse icon

Collapse

Loss of Consciousness Icon

Loss of Consciousness


If you, or anyone in your household, experience these symptoms, immediately open windows and doors to ventilate your home, then move outside and call Arkansas Oklahoma Gas at 1-800-883-3181 or 911 in an emergency suspected to be Carbon Monoxide related.

There are a number of steps you can take to minimize the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, including:

  • Have your chimney, appliances and heating equipment inspected and tested by a qualified professional every year.
  • Install ventless heaters in accordance with manufacturer specifications, never using them as a primary heat source.
  • Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home. Do not rely on carbon monoxide detectors as a substitute for maintaining appliances, heating equipment or chimneys. If you do choose to install a carbon monoxide detector, use it as an additional preventative measure.
  • Clear snow and ice from exhaust vents and intake air vents for gas appliances to prevent carbon monoxide from accumulating in your home.
  • Never use a gas oven or stovetop for heating your home.
  • Never run a gasoline engine (such as a gasoline generator) or an automobile in an enclosed space.
  • Never use a portable charcoal or propane grill indoors.
SU_footerlogo_white

       LinkedIn


Terms of Use   |  Privacy Policy   |  Careers   |  Newsroom  |  Contact Us

© 2022 Summit Utilities Inc. All rights reserved.